If you are a music producer and want to learn how to sell beats online, here is a helpful beginners guide to selling beats.
Table of Contents
1. Why You Should Sell Beats Online
#1. Make money off your talent
If you love making music, work on getting paid off your passion so you can work for yourself. Others have done it, and you can to instead of working at a job you don’t like.
#2. It’s never been easier to sell beats online
Because of the internet, you can sell beats all over the world, 24 hours a day, and this process can be automated once you set it up to collect cash.
#3. Feel good about helping people
There are people in need of quality beats, so you are helping people by providing a service. You following your dreams can help others accomplish their goals.
#4. Start a Business
If you can look at your beats as a “product” and yourself as a “business”, you have an opportunity to generate some real income.
Some entrepreneurs spend months and hundreds of dollars trying to create a digital product to sell, but as a music producer, you can create a new beat in a couple of hours that you can sell that same day. You are in a great position to make money.
2. Where to Get Started?
Here are a few things you should consider before putting your beats online.
#1. Do You Have Quality Beats?
First, you want to make sure you are ready to sell beats.
So are your beats good enough to put online to sell?
3 Things to think about…
1. Has a music artist made music to your beats?
If no, why? Are you sure your beats are in the right song structure that is desired by music artist?
2. Have you received feedback on your beats?
Get feedback but not just from your friends who will give you polite answers. Find honest music lovers who will give constructive feedback so you can make better music.
3. Are your beats properly mixed?
When music artist listen to your beats are they mixed so they sound good on different speakers?
Don’t let the 3 things above stop you from getting started with selling beats online, but you should consider the points above so you have the highest chance of success.
If you don’t, you may not do as well as you like at selling beats online without good feedback and music artist interaction.
#2. Sample Copyright
Make sure that any samples you are using are royalty free so you don’t end up with any legal problems in the future.
3. Online Beat Selling Options
There are tons of online options for you to use to sell beats, but which is best for you?
Available Beat Selling Options:
- Join Beat Selling Communities like:
- Create a Website to Sell Beats
Check out this beat selling website template.
There are both pros and cons to each option.
Beat Selling Community Websites Pros & Cons
- These sites are fast and easy to set up.
- These sites get traffic to their homepage. ( But not directly to your profile )
- They offer music communities to connect with.
- Customers come to the site to buy.
- It’s less professional.
- You are limited to a 1-page profile that pretty much links to other music producers, which you are competing with for sells.
- BeatStars allows more than one page, but it still links to your competition.
- Way too many music producers. For example Roc Battles has over 100,000 music producers you are competing with.
- Low beat prices. If everyone else is selling beats for cheap prices, you will have to lower your prices to compete. Roc battles starting price is $15.00. During promotions, beat prices can be reduced to below $13.
- Monthly fees can get high.
- These community beat selling websites are usually cluttered with tons of distractions.
- You don’t get a full website.
- Limited page customization.
- No custom domain name.
Creating a Beat Selling Website Pros & Cons
- Your website will focus on you and your music, not your competition.
- You have control over the appearance and the experience the visitor will have on your website.
- It’s more professional. You will look like a real business and a serious music producer.
- You control your brand.
- You control the users’ buying experience.
- Have your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube updates all in 1 place.
- Search Engines – Get traffic from search engines to your beats.
- Collect data – Track the number of visitors, social shares, sales, search engine visitors and more.
- Have a custom domain name.
- Upfront cost – It will cost money for a domain, website hosting, and design.
- Time-consuming – Depending on your needs, creating a website can take more time.
- Confusion & Frustration – If you have never created a website, some things will be new to you, and this can be frustrating if you don’t have helpful instructions.
- Website Traffic – You will have to work on generating website traffic, which can take some time.
So which option should you choose?
The answer is to pick both options!
2. Use the Beat Selling Communities to Promote Your Website!!!
A professional website should be your long-term goal.
Your website should be used for:
- Selling beats and products.
- Promoting music services you offer.
- Collecting email addresses to market too.
- Articles or blog updates you can share on social media.
- Building your brand and audience.
Think about your long-term goals of how to succeed.
Use beat selling communities to get your beats heard and connect with music artist.
Use those sites to bring them to your website to build a relationship and sell beats.
Website Template: Beat Selling WordPress Template – Sell Beats and digital and physical products.
Beat Selling Communities Basics:
- Claim your music name on all of these sites
- Be consistent with the name and spelling
- Add your best beats on the beat selling communities
- Link all your profiles to your website
Promote Your Website & Beats:
- Sell Beats on Instagram
- Sell Beats on YouTube
- Sell Beats on Twitter
- Sell Beats on SoundCloud
4. How to Sell Beats Online Articles
Below is a collection of links to help with creating a website, beat selling tips, beat pricing, industry insight, and much more.
- 5 Reasons Why You Need a Website
- 8 Reasons Music Producers Should Have a Blog
- 5 Tips for Music Producers to Make Money Blogging
- Questions to Ask Before a Website Launch
Email Marketing for Music Producers
- Email Marketing vs. Social Marketing
- Why Music Producers Should Build an Email Marketing List
- How to Give a Free Beat to Email Subscribers
- Beginners Guide to Email Marketing (Step by Step Guide)
Beat Selling Tips
- How to Start a Beat Selling Business
- How to Be a Music Producer
- Don’t Sell Beats, Sell Experiences
- Leasing Rights vs. Exclusive Rights
- Pros & Cons of Offering Free Beats
- Why Most Producers Fail To Sell Beats Online
- How to Sell Beats Fast ( 9 Tips )
- Should You Follow Music Trends?
- Quality vs. Quantity
- How to Get Music Placements
- Automate Your Beat Selling Business
- Beat Selling Website Template
- 5 Beat Naming Tips
- Beat Placements vs. Selling Beats Online
- How to Copyright Beats ( Should You Copyright Beats? )
Beat Pricing Tips
- How to Price Beats ( Pricing Stats )
- Are Music Producers Ruining Hip Hop With $20 Beats?
- Thoughts on Music Producers Selling Beats For $10 to $25
Branding Tips for Music Producers
- Promote Your Brand, Not Just Beats
- 7 Branding Tips for Music Producers
- 9 Branding and Marketing Tips for Music Producers
- How to Be More Professional
- Graphic Design Templates
- 10 Tips for Music Producers & Beat Makers
Music Industry Insights
- 4 Ways Music Producers Can Make Money
- Music Industry 101: Selling Beats, Music Advances, Publishing, Taxes
- How to Make Beats
- How to Become a Better Music Producer & Beat Maker
- The difference between a music producer and a wannabe…
- 5 Reasons 80% of Music Producers FAIL
5. Beat Selling Tips
Here are 8 simple beat selling tips you should test out.
- Add the best beats to the top of your beat player – If someone clicks the first 3 beats and doesn’t like them, they probably won’t continue to listen.
- Keep Beat Names Simple – Keep the beat names simple and easy to remember.
- Include music artist names and beat type in the beat names – Some music artist are searching for specific types of beats, so this can help with getting beat plays.
- Limit the number of beats – People have short attention spans, so there is a low chance anyone will go through 200 beats.
- Choose quality over quantity – It’s better to have 30 great beats that people will want to buy, rather than 100 just okay beats that no one wants.
- Re-market to previous customers – It can be hard to find good paying customers, but if you can get them to buy from you once, there is a good chance you can get them to buy from you again because you know they will pay for quality beats instead of just asking for free beats.
- Keep your beat selling website simple – Too many links, images, and graphics can be overwhelming and distracting to your customers. Set very basic goals of what you would like to achieve.
- Build relationships, don’t just focus on selling
6. Music Producer Poll Stats
We have run more than 40 polls and received over 9,500 votes on a variety of topics. Here are some stats from your fellow music producers:
- 43% Make beat CDs to promote beats.
- 45% of music producers spend 1 to 3 hours on a beat.
- But in another poll, 33% said they spend 5 or more hours to finish a beat.
- 57% said they often provide hooks with their beats.
- Only 18% blog to market their beats.
- Only 16% have attended music production conferences.
- 50% Use live instruments.
- 44% Make only 1 to 2 beats per week.
- 18% of music producers make beat making videos.
I hope this post has been helpful for anyone looking to sell beats online.
If you have any feedback, comments, or questions, leave it in the comment box below.
How to Create a Beat Selling Website Today!
Our Beat Selling Website Template offers a full website package with a beat store with automated beat downloads, discounts, photo gallery, product store, blog, unlimited pages and much more.
Please don’t forget to share this post with others.