Here is a beginner’s guide to email marketing. Whether you are a music producer, music artist, or trying to start a business, building an email list is a must.
All major businesses and websites focus on building their email list. Why? Because it’s the best way to communicate directly with fans and customers.
Email marketing drives more conversions than any other marketing channel, including search and social. – Monetate
Table of Contents
- What is Email Marketing?
- Why Focus on Email Marketing?
- Why Start Collecting Emails Today
- How to Get Started with Email Marketing
- 10 Email Marketing Tips
- How to Get Email Sign Ups
- Email Marketing Stats
- Email Design Galleries
- Best Days to Send Emails
- Email Marketing vs. Social Marketing
What is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the process of building an email list and sending your audience email updates on things like products, site updates, new articles, services, and more.
Why Focus on Email Marketing?
- Direct Messaging – Email allows you to send messages directly to people rather than posting them on a social site and hoping they come across them. This gives you a better chance of your information being seen.
- Personal Messaging – By sending emails to someone it feels more like a one on one conversation and it’s more personalized to that person. This allows you to build trust if you share helpful information.
- Higher Click-Through Rate – Emails have a higher click-through rate than posting something on social media.
- Email Automation – With email marketing, you can set it up to run automatically. You can pre-schedule emails, so once someone signs up, they will automatically get the content that is most important to you. And automation is essential to any successful business.
Why Start Collecting Emails Today
There is a good chance that the people visiting your website today will never return. You want to collect their email address so you can keep them informed of future updates.
Build Your Audience – Whenever you are ready to promote a product, service, or event, you want to have an audience ready to market too to make your launch a success.
Check out your favorite websites. They are all collecting email addresses because they know it is essential to helping their business and brand grow.
How to Get Started with Email Marketing
AWeber offers a 30-day free trial for you to test them out.
Let’s get started, visit the AWeber website and click the Free Trial button at the top of the site.
1. Creating an Email List & Welcome Email
Here are the steps to follow after you create an account. An email list is a list where your email sign-ups are managed.
2. Adding a Signup Form to Your Website
This video covers how to create and place your sign up form on your website, so you can start turning website visitors into subscribers.
3. How to Create Your First Email
This video covers creating a broadcast or newsletter email to send to your subscribers. AWeber discusses email marketing templates, adding content, and scheduling emails.
There you go, you now know how to create an email list, add a form to your website, and create your first email with AWeber.
Those are just 3 training videos, but AWeber’s YouTube channel offers over 40 “How To” videos.
So start collecting email addresses and planning your email marketing plan.
10 Email Marketing Tips
- Write compelling headlines to get people to open your emails.
- Keep the text short. Make the email easy to scan.
- Have a personality. Don’t sound like a robot.
- Don’t constantly try to sell. Share useful information to help build a relationship.
- Test emails thoroughly before sending.
- Use spell check and check for bad grammar.
- Add an email opt-in form on your website.
- Offer free email giveaways to encourage people to sign up.
- Eliminate clutter from your website. Check out Questions to Ask Before a Website Launch.
- Don’t spam your email list.
How to Get Email Sign Ups
- Include an email opt-in on your website sidebar.
- Consider offering a free download for your visitor’s email address. This can be a free beat, free ebook, discount code, etc.
- Tutorial: How to Give a Free Beat with MailChimp
- Create landing pages to collect email addresses.
- Use an email popup. But try not to annoy your visitors.
Email Marketing Stats
- You are 6x more likely to get a click-through from an email campaign than you are from a tweet. – Campaign Monitor
- For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI. – Campaign Monitor
- Email is 40 times more efficient at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter.– McKinsey
- 72% of people prefer to receive promotional content through email, compared to 17% who prefer social media. – MarketingSherpa
- 95% of companies using marketing automation are taking advantage of email marketing. – Regalix
- About 53% of emails are opened on mobile devices. – Campaign Monitor
- 23% of readers who open an email on a mobile device open it again later. – Campaign Monitor
- Personalized email messages improve click-through rates by an average of 14% and conversions by 10%. – Aberdeen
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened.– Campaign Monitor
- 92% of online adults use email, with 61% using it on an average day. – Pew Research
Email Design Galleries
Best Days to Send Emails
In this graphic, HubSpot says Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are the best days to send emails.
Email Marketing vs. Social Marketing
If you sell beats or products check out this video on Email Marketing vs. Social Marketing and why you should focus on building an email list first.
Social Media Cons
- Too Much Competition – There are so many social media posts daily that it is harder to get your posts seen.
- Lower Conversion Rates – It is more difficult to turn visitors from social media sites into paying customers right away. You usually need to build trust first.
Also think about it, once you get people to subscribe to your email list you can send them emails to encourage them to follow you on social sites.
Why You Should Build an Email Marketing List
Social sites will come and go, but if you have an email list you don’t have to worry about losing all your fans on one particular social website.
Benefits of Having an Email List
- Direct Communication – You can send updates directly to your audience.
- Build Trust – By sharing helpful information with your audience you can build trust for your name and brand.
- Email Data – Email marketing allows you to track click-through rates, email open rates, and conversions.
So those are my tips on getting started with email marketing.
What is your experience with email marketing? Do you have any helpful tips?
Create a Music Website!
Create a professional website to sell beats, products, and music. Offer music services. View Features »
You may also be interested in How to Sell Beats Online.