Here is a quick breakdown of the difference between leasing beats and selling beats exclusively.
What Are Beat Leasing Rights?
Leasing rights means when a music artist buys your beat they do not own the beat exclusively. The beat is usually lower in price because it will be sold multiple times to multiple music artists.
What Are Beat Exclusive Rights?
Exclusive rights mean the beat will only be sold once to a single music artist. That artist then owns the beat.
Which Should You Do?
You should test out both leasing beats and selling exclusive beats to see what brings in the most income for you. Here are a few pros and cons of leasing rights and exclusive rights.
Pros of Leasing Beats
- Sell a beat multiple times year-round ( 14 Digital Product Ideas for Music Producers & Musicians )
- Easier to sell because they are cheaper
- More customers out there, because many music artists do not want to spend a lot of money
Cons of Leasing Beats
- Less money upfront depending on the number of beat sales
- Viewed as less professional
Pros of Selling Exclusive Beats
- More money upfront, but the price will vary depending on the music artist’s budget and your producing experience. If you have produced for a well-known music artist, it will be easier to sell beats for more money.
- It’s viewed as more professional
- When selling exclusive beats to professional music artists you can discuss royalties and publishing to make more money after the upfront payment.
Cons of Selling Exclusive Beats
- Harder to sell because they cost more usually
Which Will Make You More Money?
This will all depend on you, your brand, website traffic, and who you network with.
Let’s say you sell exclusive beats for $500. But let’s say you only sell 1 exclusive beat a month. So that is $500.
If you lease Beats for $30 and sell 20 in a month that is $600. Also, you can sell those same beats again next month.
You should test to see what works best for you.
What are your thoughts on leasing rights vs. exclusive rights?
If you want tips on selling beats check out How to Sell Beats Online.