Here is a beginner’s guide on how to use GarageBand to help you get started with making music and becoming a pro.
GarageBand is a free music software program available for all Mac computer owners.
With GarageBand you can record vocals, play virtual instruments, create drum patterns, record live instruments, and more. There is also a mobile GarageBand to work on projects on the go.
Let’s get started!
How to Use GarageBand
- Installation & Quick Start Guide
- How to Connect MIDI Keyboards
- How to Use Virtual Instruments
- Editing MIDI
- How to Quantize Notes
- How to Make Drum Patterns
- Working with Loops
- How to Record Vocals
- Audio Editing Basics
- How to Use Samples
- How to Add 3rd Party Instruments
- How to Use Arrangement Tracks
- How to Make a Trap Beat
- How to Make a Hip Hop Beat
- How To Make A Tropical House Beat
- How to Make a Simple EDM Melody
- How to Make an R&B Beat
- 25 Time-Saving GarageBand Shortcuts
- GarageBand Podcast Tutorial
- Mixing Audio
- Export to MP3
- More GarageBand Tutorials
1. Installation & Quick Start Guide
To install the app search the Mac App Store for GarageBand
This video will show you how to get started with GarageBand.
Help: Online User Manual
2. How to Connect MIDI Keyboards
You can connect a MIDI controller to your computer to play virtual instruments and drums in GarageBand.
3. How to Use Virtual Instruments
GarageBand comes packed with tons of virtual instruments like pianos, synths, bass, guitars, organs, strings, and much more.
Here is an overview of how to use virtual instruments.
4. Editing MIDI
Once you record a virtual instrument, you may need to edit the MIDI notes to correct any mistakes.
5. How to Quantize Notes
You can quantize MIDI notes to fix any incorrect timing and placement of notes.
6. How to Make Drum Patterns
Here is a short video on how to record MIDI drum Loops in GarageBand.
Related: How to Create Drum Patterns
7. Working with Loops
Here is a tutorial for using audio and MIDI loops in GarageBand.
8. How to Record Vocals
This tutorial covers how to connect a microphone and create an audio track in GarageBand to record vocals.
9. Audio Editing Basics
Here is a simple tutorial on how to edit audio in GarageBand.
10. How to Use Samples
This is a tutorial on how to use the GarageBand audio sampler.
11. How to Add 3rd Party Instruments
You can install 3rd party Audio Units plug-ins in your GarageBand to additional instruments and audio effects.
12. How to Use Arrangement Tracks
Here is a short video to use GarageBand’s arrangement markers, and the arrangement tracks.
13. How to Make a Trap Beat
Here is a video tutorial on how to make a trap beat in GarageBand.
14. How to Make a Hip Hop Beat
Here is a tutorial on how to make a Hip Hop beat in GarageBand.
Related: Classic Hip Hop Beat Tutorial
15. How To Make A Tropical House Beat
Here is a tutorial on how to make a House beat in GarageBand.
16. How to Make a Simple EDM Melody
Here is a tutorial on how to make an EDM melody in GarageBand.
17. How to Make an R&B Beat
Here is a tutorial on how to make an R&B beat in GarageBand.
18. 25 Time-Saving GarageBand Shortcuts
Here are 25 GarageBand tips to help speed up your music making process.
19. GarageBand Podcast Tutorial
Not only can GarageBand be used to create music, but it can also be used to create podcasts and other audio related projects.
20. Mixing Audio
This video is a simple guide to mixing your audio in GarageBand.
21. Export to MP3
Once you have created a song or beat in GarageBand, and are ready to export your audio, here are the steps to follow to export an MP3 or AAC file.
22. More GarageBand Tutorials
Here are a collection of other tutorials you may be interested in.
- Remaking Mask Off By Future
- Professional Producer Tries Garageband
- MIDI Notes: Merge, Replace, Retakes
- T-Pain Mixes a Beat in GarageBand
Relate Beginner Guides
We hope this guide on how to use GarageBand was helpful.
If you have any tips on GarageBand please share them in the comment section below.
Please don’t forget to share this article.
Related: What Is Garageband