Here is a collection of The Best Free Audio Editor Software Programs for Mac, PC, Linux, and even your online browser.
Free Audio Editor Software Programs
- DVDVideoSoft Free Audio Editor
- Power Sound Editor Free
- TwistedWave Online
- Bear Audio Editor
- Beautiful Audio Editor
OS: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer
- Import and Export WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Supports 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste and Delete.
- Export MP3 files with the optional LAME encoder library.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Unlimited sequential Undo (and Redo) in the session
- Plug-in Manager handles plug-in installation and
- Built-in effects include: Distortion, Echo, Limiter, Paulstretch, Phaser, Reverb, Reverse
- Record at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz
- Free audio editing software program
- Record multiple channels at once
Ocenaudio is a cross-platform, easy to use, fast and functional audio editor. It is the ideal software for people who need to edit and analyze audio files without complications. ocenaudio also has powerful features that will please more advanced users. Download Ocenaudio
OS: Windows , Mac, Linux
- VST plugins support
- Real-time preview of effects
- Cross-platform support
- Multi-selection for delicate editions
- Efficient editing of large files
Wavosaur is a cool free sound editor, audio editor, wav editor software for editing, processing and recording sounds, wav and mp3 files. Download Wavosaur
- Editing functions: cut, copy, paste, paste mix, paste to new file, trim/crop, delete, undo.
- Processing options: mute, channel convert (stereo->mono, mono->stereo), insert silence, change volume, normalize level, fade in/out, invert/flip, undo.
- Import, save and edit loop points & markers information in wav files. Snap to zero-crossing.
- Batch processing: apply process/effect/VST effects to an entire folder.
- Loads wav, mp3, aif, aiff, ogg vorbis, raw binary, au/snd, ADPCM Dialogic vox, Akai S1000 sample, Amiga 8svx & 16svx, wavpack.
- Support for multichannel wav, 8 bits, 16 bits, 24 bits, 32 bits PCM, 32 bits float, 64 bits float
- Wavosaur provides a solid VST effect plugin support.
- Volume envelope automation: multi point envelope editing.
OS: Browser ( Google Chrome )
- Record a sample from your microphone.
- Drag and drop your sample in the browser window.
- Edit Audio
5. DVDVideoSoft Free Audio Editor
Free Audio Editor is an easy to use audio editing tool, which key functions are to delete unwanted audio parts and split audio files. Download DVDVideoSoft Free Audio Editor
- Supports many audio formats: MP3, WAV, AAC, AC3, M4A, MP2, OGG, WMA, FLAC.
- Convert audio to a wide range of formats
- Adjust audio volume
6. Power Sound Editor Free
Create, record, edit & share audio easily. Power Sound Editor Free. Visually edit audio files with all the familiar commands. Record sound from any sources with high quality. Apply 25+ built-in audio effects. Download Power Sound Editor Free
Power Sound Editor Features
- Visually edit audio file with all the familiar commands.
- Record sound from any sources with high quality.
- Apply 25+ built-in audio effects.
- Extract and edit audio from video or YouTube files.
- Support all key formats.
WaveShop is a free, open-source audio editor for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit and 64-bit. Download Waveshop
- Bit-perfect: samples aren’t changed needlessly
- Very fast: all processing is done in memory
- 64-bit version can edit files exceeding 4GB
- Supports most file formats including AAC/MP4, MP3, FLAC and Ogg/Vorbis
- Clipboard: Copy/Cut/Paste/Insert/Delete
- Unlimited undo
- Normalize and/or fix DC offset
- Amplify (boost/attenuate)
- Fade in/out/custom, linear or logarithmic
- Peak statistics
- RMS statistics with histogram
- Reversal and inversion
- Find clipping with detailed report
- Extract channels to mono files
- Insert/delete/swap channels
- Change audio format
- Sample rate conversion
- Generate audio w/ envelopes and modulation
- Edit surround speaker assignments
- Find zero crossing
- Multiple Document Interface (MDI)
- Multithreaded processing
- Playback via DirectSound
- Peak-hold meters with surround support
- Real-time spectrum analyzer
- One-touch and sound-activated recording
- EQ, compression, and other effects via LADSPA plugins
Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application for Linux. Download Qtractor
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on the Qt C++ application an UI framework.
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG, MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF.
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Drag-and-drop interaction (drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge, freeze)
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence (a-la QjackCtl).
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VSTi and LV2 plug-in support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio/MIDI effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out, cross-fade
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation.
- Audio clip time-stretching, pitch-shifting, and seamless sample-rate conversion.
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, render, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
- SoundFont (*.sf2) are supported.
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- MIDI Clock, Song Position Pointer (SPP) support.
- Configurable PC-keyboard and MIDI controller shortcuts
9. TwistedWave Online
TwistedWave is a browser-based audio editor. You only need a web browser to access it, and you can use it to record or edit any audio file. View Website
OS: Web Browser
10. Bear Audio Editor
A brand new online audio editing tool that is based on HTML5 and doesn’t require you to upload audio files to the server. View Website
OS: Web Browser
Bear Audio Editor Features
- Cut and delete audio
- Combine audio, songs, and ringtones together
- Fade in and fade out audio
- Mute and adjust volume
- Supported import formats: MP3, WAV, OGG
- Export format: WAV, MP3, M4R, OGG, AAC, WMA
11. Beautiful Audio Editor
An experimental audio editor. Copy. Snip. Pan. Record. Flexibly fade volume with envelopes. Apply and move effects (filters, compression, etc.) amongst tracks. And more. View Website
OS: Web Browser
What is your favorite free audio editor software program?