Here are the best free electric guitar amp simulators online that you can use with FL Studio, Reason, Ableton Live, and other VST supported software.
What Is A Electric Guitar Amp Simulator?
An electric guitar amp plugin is a virtual amplifier that simulates the sound of a physical, real-world electric guitar amplifier. These plugins can be used with any digital audio workstation. Musicians can use them to improve the sound of instruments such as electric and bass guitars.
Different amplifiers can be emulated with electric guitar amp VST plugins, including clean, crunch, and heavy metal. Some plugins can simulate various cabinet types, such as 4×12, 2×12, 1×12, etc.
Some of these plugins also provide equalization options, including adjusting the bass, middle, treble, or applying effects such as reverb, delay, and more.
Tutorial: How to Install VST Plugins
Best Electric Guitar Amp Simulators
We have included electric guitar amp plugins that work for Windows and Macs.
Instructions: Click the links below to visit each electric guitar amp simulator. Look around each website for the download link or button. Do not install any suspicious software.
Boogex is a guitar amplifier effect AAX, AudioUnit, and VST plugin with various sound shaping features for professional sound and music production applications.
Boogex produces an excellent minimalist sound that may be noisy at higher drive settings. Higher frequencies can be quickly suppressed with its built-in Emphasis EQ.
- Real-time guitar processing
- Speaker cabinet simulation
- Mono convolution processing
Download: Boogex | OS: Windows / Mac
Boogex VST Preview
2. Blue Cat
Inspired by legendary guitar amplifiers from the real world, the classic clean, classic drive, and modern drive amp models cover various guitar amp tones. From clean vintage sounds from the early days of electric guitar to modern high gain metal tones.
- Free guitar amp simulation plug-in.
- 3 amp models inspired by legendary amplifiers: “classic clean”, “classic drive” and “modern drive”.
- Simulations based on the destructor dynamic distortion and amp modeling engine.
- Load you own cabinet or reverb impulse responses to add color to the amp simulation.
- No latency.
Download: Blue Cat | OS: Windows / Mac
The NRR-1 is a digital emulation of a three-channel tube preamplifier for guitar.
It has been developed to accurately model its tangible hardware counterpart, built for Fleshgod Apocalypse guitarist Cristiano Trionfera by Ignite Amps, back in 2009.
The NRR-1 core circuit is mainly based on a famous boutique preamplifier made in 1988, modified to Cristiano’s needs in the best possible way.
- Ignite Amps 3rd generation triode modeling engine.
- Three channels: clean, rhythm, and lead, each with fully separated controls.
- Mono / Stereo processing support.
- Selectable oversampling rate (up to 8x).
- Global input/output level controls.
- Double precision (64-bit) floating-point mathematical model.
- Fully automated controls.
- Ignite Amps proprietary preset management system with bank file import/export functions.
Download: NRR-1 | OS: Windows / Mac
Le456 is a preamp sim roughly based on a famous German gear.
Each channel/modes share the same features. Apart from the usual tone controls (drive, low, mid, high, and contour), each channel/modes offer two different tone stacks that can be accessed via the focus switches.
Bottom and bright switches can boost the low and the high frequencies.
On the low gain channel only (Clean/Crunch), the effectiveness of the bright switch decreases with the gain settings.
- 2 Channels
- 2 Modes per channel
Download: Le456 | OS: Windows / Mac
The Emissary is a digital emulation of a custom dual-channel guitar tube amplifier. It has been developed to accurately model its real hardware counterpart, built for Ryan Huthnance.
The GUI is a 3D rendered amp model with the same control layout. Every effort has gone into minimizing latency for flawless real-time performance.
Check out the linked video for an idea of the immense power it is capable of. We could happily plug into this, and while away, many hours/days are chopping through riffs with glee.
Download: Emissary | OS: Windows / Mac
FreeAmp3 by Joseph DeHelian of Fretted Synth Audio is a Windows-based plugin with wide-ranging tone shaping potential.
The software boasts built-in amp types, different EQs with independent controls, a guitar synth, various compressors, and gates, plus many effects to get stuck into, including delays, reverbs, overdrives, etc. Something like this shouldn’t be free, but it is, so it fills your boots!
Version three of a free amp with no effects. NOTE all versions of free amp are different.
Download: FreeAmp3 | OS: Windows / Mac
7. Amplifikation Lite
Kuassa Amplifikation Lite enables you to create ultra-realistic sounding guitar sounds by simply plugging your guitar into your computer’s sound card input.
Get high-quality guitar tracks with a simple interface and non-obstructive workflow using Amplifikation Lite.
- 3 channels (clean, rhythm, lead).
- 9 Parameters: Input, Channel selector, Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Volume and Cabinet On/Off.
Download: Amplifikation Lite | OS: Windows / Mac
8. Cypress TT-15
Black Rooster Audio’s guitar amp head emulation is meticulously modeled after a versatile yet uniquely sounding low wattage amplifier. The Black Rooster Audio Cypress TT-15 comes to you at an unbeatable price point.
With its no-nonsense approach and only six intuitive controls, the Cypress TT-15 will help get the job done right away, whether you are looking for clean through crunchy guitar tones or if you want to achieve biting distorted lead sounds.
We also included a simple 2×12 cabinet simulation that can be bypassed if you prefer other solutions or feed into an external power amp/cabinet stage.
Download: Cypress TT-15 | OS: Windows / Mac
9. Studio Devil
Studio Devil British Valve Custom is a FREE guitar amp modeling and audio effects plugin for use with VST, Audio Units, and Pro Tools RTAS compatible hosts running on both Mac and Windows platforms.
- British High-Gain Amp emulation based on Marshall stack!
- Power Amp Drive Control to adjust natural power amp compression.
- Built-In 4×12 Cabinet Emulation!
- Realistic Tone Controls: Bass, Mid, Treble, and Presence
- Professional Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz support!
- 4X Up-Sampling Engine with 64-bit Floating-Point Internal Precision
- Compatible with Windows and Mac VST, Audio Units, and ProTools RTAShosts
Download: Studio Devil | OS: Windows / Mac
Ace is a faithful digital emulation of a legendary 1950s, American, all tube, tweed, 5W amp.
- Accurate modeling of the whole circuit to capture dynamic interactions between amp stages.
- Authentic 12AX7 and 6V6GT vacuum tube models.
- Models of the two most common amp mods.
- Adjustable strength of the input signal with up to 12 dB boost.
- Cabinet simulation that can be switched on or off.
- Selectable 2x, 4x, or 8x oversampling.
Download: Ace Plugin | OS: Windows / Mac
I hope you enjoy these free electric guitar amp simulators.
Please share this article and check out more free VST plugins.