There are many different aspects to making music. In this article, I will cover the basics of how to make your own music. Learn how to make music today!
Whether you are a singer, rapper, or in a band the process of making music is similar.
Here are the different steps involved in how to make music.
Table of Contents
How to Make Your Own Music
Step 1: Make a Beat or Buy a Beat
A beat or instrumental is the foundation of a song. Some music artists may start with lyrics first, but often music artists find a beat that inspires them and they write to it.
Option 1: Make a beat
It’s good if you know how to make your own beats because you can save money. But not many people are good at music production, songwriting, and performing. Stick to your strengths.
Option 2: Buy a Beat
Buying a beat may be easier for most of you. There are many talented music producers out there that have spent years developing their craft.
Buying beats allow you to experiment with different types of instrumentals and does not limit you to what kind of beats you can create.
Where to buy beats:
Pay for quality beats. Look at each beat as an investment.
You don’t want to put your name on crappy songs or bad beats.
You can gain and lose fans quickly with the music you put out.
Related: How to Make Beats ( Beginners Guide )
Step 2: Write Lyrics to Your Song
Once you find a beat, start writing lyrics. There is no one correct way to write songs; you need to do what works best for you.
5 Different Songwriting Ideas
1. Freestyle Lyrics
Sometimes when you hear a beat ideas will just come to you, but in the process of trying to capture and make sense of those ideas, you can get lost, and you will lose those other creative ideas.
So I suggest you record yourself freestyling over the beat to capture the different lyrics, melodies, hooks, and feelings. Then revisit it and make sense of the ideas you have.
2. Use Online Software
Helpful websites like RapPad are created for songwriters. RapPad will analyze your lyrics and give you words that rhyme. It offers a built-in rhyming dictionary, syllable counter, thesaurus, and more.
3. Start with the Hook First
Hooks are usually the most popular part of a song. If you can figure out a hook first, it will often help to lead the direction and theme of a song.
What makes a good hook or chorus?
- Keep choruses simple and easy to remember
- Hooks should summarize the song
- Traditional hooks contain a melody
- Famous choruses get repeated many times
Related: Why We Love Repetition
Work with other songwriters. Working with others will bring out different ideas, and you can feed off each others energy.
Sharing ideas will help you to avoid writer’s block.
5. Write With a Pen & Pad
You may already do this one, but many songwriters these days are writing songs on mobile devices. Try switching it up.
It’s always good to see a complete verse written out on a piece of paper rather than scrolling up and down on a phone.
10 Lyric Writing Tips for Beginners
Here is a great video on songwriting tips for singers.
Song Writing Links
- How to Rap: J. COLE’s Songwriting Secrets
- Top 10 Annoyingly Catchy Songs
- How to Write Lyrics
- How to Write A Song ( 10 Tips )
- 25 Best Catchy Songs of All Time
- How to Rap: Structuring Lyrics
- Rapping deconstructed: The best rhymers of all time
Free Online Rhyming Dictionaries
- Rhyme Zone – Find rhymes, synonyms, definitions, and more!
- Rhymer – Find end rhymes, syllable, double rhymes, triple rhymes and more.
- Rhyme Brain – Type a word and press enter to find rhymes.
- Muse – Rhyming Dictionary.
- Evernote – Use Evernote to capture lyrics, song ideas, and audio.
- Hum – Hum organizes all your lyrics and melodies by key, tuning, and mood.
- Multi-Track Song Recorders Apps – Search the app store for apps like this to record vocals over a beat.
- Rhyming Dictionaries: iPhone / Android
Additional Songwriting Tips
- Research popular songs & learn from them. ( Top 100 )
- Write often. The more you write, the better you will get.
- Study Lyrics on Genius.com
Step 3: Record The Song
Once you have a beat and lyrics, you are ready to record a song.
You will need software and audio recording equipment for this.
Here are the 5 basic things you will need to create your own music:
1. Computer – A computer is where you will record and edit songs.
2. Music Software – You will need audio recording software to record and arrange your songs. Popular audio software: Pro Tools, Apple Logic, and Cubase.
3. Headphones – You will need headphones to hear the music as you record vocals.
4. Microphone – You will need a microphone to record your vocals.
5. Audio Interface – The audio interface is what connects your microphone to your computer.
How to Record Music
The videos below cover some different audio recording topics.
Recording Vocal Basics
This video covers microphones, positioning, and microphone pop filters.
Related: How to Produce Pop Vocals Like The Pros
Recording Hip Hop Vocals
Rap & Hip Hop Related
How to Compose and Record a Song
Sand Stone Studios explains how to make music. They create a beat from scratch and record vocals.
Step 4: Audio Editing
Once the audio is recorded, it’s time to edit the vocals. This process involves mixing audio, adding effects, and more.
Mixing Rap Vocals
Mixing Vocals To Sound Upfront
Related: Beat Audio Mixing Tips
In most cases when the song is recorded and mixed it’s done right? Yes and no.
I advise you to sit with the song, share it with others for feedback, and see if there are things you can do to make it better.
Some songs are worked on for weeks before they are released to the public.
DJ Khalil shared that the making of Aloe Blacc’s very popular “The Man” took about 2 months to finish.
A popular song can open many doors for you, so do what you can to make it a great song.
Need Graphics to Promote Your Music?
Our store has website and social marketing graphics to help you look professional.
Create a Music Business
Create a professional website to sell beats, products, and music. Offer music services. View Features »
Do you have tips on how to make your own music? Please share in the comments.
Thanks for reading.
I love to make my own song
Without knowing the tune, how to write lyrics for the beat, are you telling to write lyrics for beat? How to create a new tune?