Having a blog can be a wonderful marketing tool when used correctly. It allows you to build an audience, network with others, and promote the things you want. There are thousands of people who are making a living off their own blogs online.
Hip Hop Makers brings in between $300 to $400 in ads each month. That’s not a lot compared to other bogs, but it is additional cash each month that I think we all could use. I also make money by selling products, and since I am a designer I have attracted new clients from the people visiting the site as well.
Last week I posted 8 Reasons Why Every Music Producer Should Have a Blog, don’t forget to check it out.
Here are 5 ways for music producers to make money from blogging.
1. Sell Beats
Having a blog gives you the chance to market your beats to music artists. In a poll I did on this site, music producers voted the hardest thing in their career right now was getting their music heard. It is hard to get traffic and visitors to a one page website for your beat. But an active blog is always pushing out fresh content. If your content is good, visitors will come to your site, and share that content with others.
Web traffic is essential to getting your music heard, and a blog can allow you to do that.
Example beat store: View Page
Example beat submission page: View Page
2. Sell Products
If you have been producing music for a couple years, you have skill and are knowledgeable about music production. With that skill, you are able to create byproducts (byproduct: Something produced in the making of something else. A secondary result. ) You can use your knowledge and experience to create a number of products to sell.
Music Product Ideas
- Drum Kits & Samples - Over the years you may have developed a number of custom samples that people will pay for.
- Educational Material - Making music is a trial and error process. If you can create content that teaches fellow music producers to make better music, use software, mix music, or more. You can offer that as a product.
- Sell Sounds or Patches - When using music software or hardware, you will create tons of custom sound patches that fit your needs. You can package those up, and sell them to fellow producers.
- Other Products: The options for a product are limitless. Once you find an audience, you can understand their needs, and create a product to sale.
Example single product page: View Page
3. Offer Services
If you have been making music for a while, you will have acquired a number of skills that people can pay for. In this digital age, you don’t need to be in the same city, state, or even county to work with others. So you can have clients all over the world.
Audio Service Ideas
- Custom Audio Tracks
- Song Writing
- Sound Design
- Voice Over Recording
Example services page: View Page
Example accept payment page: View Page
4. Banner Ads
Ads might be the #1 way blogs make money today. You can sign up for a number of free services, and by building up web traffic, you will make more money. Google AdSense is the most popular ad service. You simply sign up, add the code to your website, and you get paid anytime someone clicks a ad.
5. Affiliate Programs
Affiliate programs work like this, you sign up, you promote a product or service by linking to it, and if someone buys that product or signs up for that service, you get paid. You don’t necessarily have to say “Go Buy _______”. You can simply just write about your write about things in your life, and music gear you own, and link it to the product webpage.
Amazon offers a good affiliate program because they offer almost any product available for you to link too, and they pay 4% commission on each sale. Four percent isn’t a lot when the product being purchased is only $10, but it is a lot when someone is buying a $5,000 camera.
Other ways to make money blogging
- Network to Find Work - Having a blog will introduce you to many new people who can spread the word about what you do, and services you offer.
- Member Exclusive Content - You can create a premium content area that people have to pay a monthly fee to access.
- Sponsored Post - If you build a huge fan base, some people will pay you to do a post about their products or services on your site to promote to your audience.
That’s it. Those are 5+ tips on how to make money blogging. There are other ways to make money besides these, but these should motivate you to get started.
Having a blog can be a great way to make additional income. All business minded people should focus on having multiple income sources. Never depend on one source of income, because no job is 100% safe.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
Also check out the Music Maker WordPress Theme. It’s out now!
Please Share:Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Pinterest Share on Stumbleupon Share via Email Share on Reddit
Did you enjoy this post? Get Hip Hop Makers updates via email...
Join our weekly newsletter to stay updated on music news, free resources, interviews, and more. Your email will be kept private.