Here are the best online music classes to learn how to make music, songwriting, audio recording, piano, music fundamentals, and more.
Whether you are a music producer or a passionate music lover who wants to create music, these music classes can help you improve your music skills.
Learning how to make music is difficult when you don’t have the proper guidance. It’s time-consuming, expensive, and it’s easy to get stuck in a rut.
Online music classes are the perfect solution if you want to learn to make music without breaking the bank and learn at your own pace.
All these online music classes are on Skillshare. You can watch all of these classes for free by signing up for a 30-day free trial. Cancel at any time.
Skillshare has 19,000+ online courses covering all music aspects from audio recording, mixing music, music theory, piano, and more.
This guide has affiliate links for which we receive a commission at no cost to you.
The Best Online Music Classes
- Melody & Lyrics in Songwriting
- Singing Made Easy
- Songwriting & Composing
- Lofi Fundamentals
- Learn Guitar: Beginners Guide
- Music Theory Comprehensive
- How to Mix Audio With Young Guru
- Learn Piano in 30 Days
- FL Studio Beginners Course
- Ableton Live: 1st Steps Music
- Producing with Logic Pro X
- Music Theory Comprehensive
- Music Theory for Electronic
- Music Theory: Exploring Sound
- Blueprint to Beatmaking
- Improve Your Singing
- Making Music in FL Studio
- Beginners Guide to Piano Chords
- Mixing At Home With Stock Plugins
- Music Composition with The Piano
1. Toplining 101: Melody & Lyrics in Songwriting
Getting into songwriting can be challenging, but you can beat other music producers once you get your hands on it.
In this online music class, you will learn how to write your lyrics, create your melody, and explore new ways to play around lyrics.
This course is ideal for anyone who wants to learn the basics of songwriting, no matter if you have any experience or not.
Students: 2,500+ | Rating: 88%
- What is a Topline
- Getting Started
- Melody Building Blocks
- Melody Structure
- Lyrics & Concept
- Creative Blocks
2. Singing Made Easy: Vocal Training System
This course is great for music lovers who are passionate about singing but don’t know where to start.
The instructor of this course has 20 years of experience in the music industry and has worked with industry experts, which will help you improve your singing skills from the basics.
This course will teach you how to control the pitch of your voice, control your emotions, utilize your breath efficiently, and the habits you need to adapt or cut down for improving your singing.
Students: 30,800+ | Rating: 96%
- Fundamentals of Breathing
- Healthy Vocal Placement
- Yawning Your Way to Higher Notes
- A, E, I, O, U Placement
- Exercise: Humming / Lip Trills Scale
- Activity: Ma, Ma, Ma Spoken Scales
- Staccato Scales
- Legato Scales
3. Songwriting & Composing Melodies
Writing melody songs is a skill that not all songwriters usually have.
If you are an aspiring songwriter or composer, this course is a must-have for you, as here you will learn how to write melodious songs that the audience can feel.
This course will take you through some tips and tricks to create a custom music piece.
Students: 3,400+ | Rating: 72%
- Using Chord Progressions
- Composing Melodies
- Crafting Effective Lyrics
- Orchestration, Arranging Elements
- Music and Dialog
4. Lofi Fundamentals: Make Chill Hip-Hop Beats
Hip-Hop beats often seem easier to make, but they need some effort and tricks.
If you are familiar with the lofi beats, you must have observed how simple it is on the surface, but it takes a lot of effort to get the best beat finally.
In this online music class, you will learn the essential elements in the tracks, mixing techniques, creating lofi beats, and much more.
Students: 3,700+ | Rating: 86%
- Chopping & Playing The Sample
- Drums & Bass
- Vocal Textures & Mixing
- Hook Vocal Melodies
- Tracking Out The
5. Learn Guitar: The Complete Beginners Guide
This is the beginner’s course on learning guitar where you will learn all the basics that you need to know about guitar.
This course will cater to both acoustic and electric guitars. You will be introduced to the chords, scales, songs, and riffs, and after some lessons, we will teach you to write your music.
Students: 6,400+ | Rating: 99%
- Anatomy, Tuning, Scales
- Chord Boxes & Tabs
- Picking Exercise and First Riff
- Chord Introduction
- 1st Chord – E Minor
- G Major Chord
- Strumming Patterns, Timing, and Rhythm
- Play Songs: Stand By Me, Perfect
- Major & Minor Chords
- C Major & G Major Scale
- Write Music
- Lead Guitar Ideas
- Introduction To Backing Track
- Backing Track
Related: Online Guitar Courses
6. Music Theory Comprehensive – How To Read Music
Music is not just playing with instruments, and you need to study its theory to get a better understanding of it.
This course will help you learn about the music software, pitches, steps, intervals, beats, rhythms, and much more about the music.
This course is led by a well-known music instructor who has been teaching it for years.
Students: 17,300+ | Rating: 98%
- My Approach To Theory
- Tools You Need
- Muse Score
- The Elements of the Score
- Pitch Names & Classes
- The Keyboard Layout
- Black & White Keys
- Half Steps and Whole Steps
- Staff Overview
- Treble Clef Refresher
- Naming Notes and Intervals
- Octave Names
- Beat And Beat Divisions
- Duple Vs. Triple
- Tempo Downbeats And Upbeats
- Basic Rhythmic Elements
- Rests, Form, Clefs, Octaves
- Time Signatures
- Dynamics Repeats
- Places To Find Scores Online
Related: Music Theory Courses
7. Learn How to Mix Audio With Young Guru
This course will take you into the essentials of audio engineering that will help you create your music. This course is divided into four sections, where each section will give you insights on the relevant topic.
Here you will learn how to organize the mix and work with the tools, arrange the levels, add and create effects, and adjust the balance of tones.
Students: 26,741+ | Rating: 90%
- Organizing a Mix
- Determining Levels
- Adding Effects: EQ, Reverb, Compression
- Tonal Balance
Related: Audio Mixing Courses
8. Learn Piano in 30 Days: 8+ Hours of Piano Video Instruction
This course is extensive for piano lovers, where they will get complete instructions on how to play scales, chords and compose music.
This course will provide you with the theory lectures you may need to learn the fundamentals of piano and provide you with practice projects that will keep you motivated and help you improve your skills.
Students: 26,958+ | Rating: 89%
- Piano Course Layout
- The Secret
- White & Black Piano Keys
- Special Piano Key Names
- Double Flats & Sharps
- Introduction to Piano Scales
- Piano Scales, What’s The Use?
- Major & Piano Scales
- Play Piano Octaves
- Jump Piano Octaves
- Piano Scale & Octaves
- Introduction to Chords Mastery
- Major & Minor Piano Chords
- Piano Inversions
- Major & Minor 7 Chords
- Splitting Piano Chords
- Slash Chords
- Diminished Chords
- Introduction to Mastering Chords
- Piano Chord Progressions
Related: Piano Classes Online
9. FL Studio Beginners Course
This course is for beginners who want to learn about FL Studio 20.
This course will cover comprehensive details about FL Studio. In this online music class, you will learn how to use FL Studio, set up FL Studio, different plug-ins in the software, create a backup, templates, and much more that you may need to work with FL Studio.
Students: 6,183+ | Rating: 93%
- Best Settings for Performance in FL Studio
- Overview of How FL Studio Works
- Using FL Studio’s Step Sequencer
- The Playlist
- The Piano Roll
- The Mixer
- Sounds (One-Shot Samples) vs. Instruments [VSTs]
- How to Install Plugins
- How to Back Up in FL Studio
- Setting Up Snaps in FL Studio’s Browser
- FL Studio Template
- Creating a Beat From Scratch
- Various FL Studio Tips
- How to Record a Microphone
- How to Install a MIDI Controller
- Best Export Settings in FL Studio
- Use Automation Clips
10. Ableton Live: 1st Steps of Digital Music Production
This online music class will get some hands-on projects to experiment with music production. This course will teach you to create your music or do a remix.
The instructor will take you through the interface, settings, browsers, differences between audio clips, tracks, and scenes, and how to wrap up songs perfectly.
Students: 12,800+ | Rating: 86%
- Finding Your Way Around
- Essential Preferences
- Saving Your Work
- Organizing Clips on Tracks and Scenes
- Clip Launch and Quantize
- Clip View 101
- Live Browser 101
- Search and User Folders
- Browsers and Tracks
- What is Warping?
11. Logic Pro X Quick Start: Producing with Logic Pro X
This course is extensive for tech gurus who love exploring new programs.
In this online music class, you will learn about the Logic Pro X software, where you be learning in detail about different Logic Pro versions, setting up the software, creating a project, working in other areas, mixers, using loops, adding up the baseline, audio effects, recording setup and much more.
Students: 3,400+ | Rating: 94%
- What Separates Logic?
- Purchasing Logic
- Installing Logic Pro X
- Creating A Project
- The Logic Interface
- The Arrange Area
- Editing Area
- The Transport Bar
- The Inspector Area
- Media And Event Lists
- The Mixer
- What Are Apple Loops?
- Beat Sync With Apple Loops
- Adding A Bass Line
- Adding Synths And Finishing Our Arrangement
- Navigation Overview
- Navigation Key
- Setting A Loop Area
- Setting Markers
- More Tools
12. Music Theory Comprehensive: Chords, Scales, & Keys
This course is part 2 of the music theory course that we have shared earlier.
This course will take you through tools that you may need to learn music, scales, chords, pattern scales, finding the chords by formula, identifying song signatures, song analysis, writing melodies, and much more.
You will also get the project worksheets where you have to practice the concepts.
Students: 5,300+ | Rating: 99%
- Tools We Will Use
- What Are Scales
- Chromatic And Diatonic
- Ordered Pitch Class Collections
- Chromatic Scales
- Whole And Half Pattern
- Scale Degree And Tonic
- Using Major Scales
- Melody Analysis
- What Is A Key
- Major Key Overview
- What Are Key Signatures
- Identifying Key Signatures
- What Are Chords
- Song Analysis
- Building Triads
- Diatonic Chord Progressions
- Roman Numerals
- Analysis 2
- What Is Inside Of A Triad
- The Third Holds The Power
- Finding Thirds By Half Steps
- Finding The Fifth By Thirds
- Diminished & Augmented Triads
13. Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers
This theory course will be an introductory course of music theory where electronic music producers will learn how to improve their skills.
In this online music class, you will understand how different pitches and rhythms can improve your songs and melodies and how you can improve them.
Students: 8,700+ | Rating: 94%
- The Keyboard Layout, Middle C, and Octaves
- The Perfect 5th, and being “In Key.”
- More with Keys, The Third, and the Basic Triad
- Diatonic Chord Progressions & Inversions
- 7th Chords
- The Other Intervals
14. Music Theory: Exploring Sound, Rhythm, & Melody
In this online music class, you will learn how to create good music and how sounds work together.
You will know how sound works, what notes are, why and how they are essential, the notes’ density, chord, and rhythms.
This course is extensive for music producers who work on MIDI grids. This course will help you strengthen your concepts no matter which software you use.
Students: 8,200+ | Rating: 88%
- Does Music Theory Matter?
- MIDI Sequencer vs. Traditional Notation
- Creating a Practice Schedule
- Sound Waves and the 12-Pitch Palette
- Sharps, Flats, Whole Steps, and Half Steps
- Tension, Resolution, and Musical Forms
- Musical Density
- Simple Meters: Duple, Triple, and Quadruple
- Simple Note Lengths
- Six Major Intervals
- Four Minor Intervals
- Diminished and Augmented 4ths and 5ths
- The Interval Project
- Major Scales
- Relative Minor Scales
- Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales
- Recapping Basic Scales
- Major and Minor Triads
- Diminished and Augmented Triads
- Playing Triads
- Two Types of Chords
- Three Diminished Chords
- Reading and Playing Chord Symbols
- Finding the Diatonic Major Chords
- How These Chords Function
- Exploring Songs Made with Diatonic Major Chords
- Sketching Songs
15. Blueprint to Beatmaking ( Music Production )
This is the introductory course that every musician must take if they get into hip-hop music creation.
This course is designed to get you up and running quickly with a simple framework.
A beginner can easily use it, and it can also be used by intermediate students looking for ways to break through plateaus with their current production.
Students: 4,900+ | Rating: 85%
- Learning To Listen
- Building Out Beats
- Melody Walkthrough
- Drums Walkthrough
- Drum & Bass
- Bass Walkthrough
- Percussion Walkthrough
- Tracking Out The Beat
- Mastering & Automation
- Mixing The Beat
- Melody Walkthrough
- Chopping The Sample
- Drums Walkthrough
- Bass Walkthrough
- Percussion & Textures
- Tracking Out The Beat
- Automation & Transitions
- Bouncing The Stems
- Wrapping Up
- Vocal Textures
- Pitching Samples
16. Improve Your Singing | Breathing Exercises!
You will learn practical exercises for developing your BREATHING and SUPPORT skills in this class.
Each exercise will provide you with several strategies that will help you progress your voice in a clear, systematic, and straightforward manner.
By the end of this class, you will be able to use your body’s natural coordination to your advantage when singing.
Students: 3,400+ | Rating: 98%
- Why Start with Breathing?
- Deep Coordinated Breath
- Ribcage Expansion
- Long Sustained Out-Breath
- Consonants Explosion
- Fire Breathing
- From Panting Dog to Singing
- Your Own Voice
17. Making Music in FL Studio 12: Introduction to the Basics
Learn how to get the most out of FL Studio signal flow, sequencing, and composition with these valuable workflow and production tips and tricks.
No prior knowledge is required for this class, so it is geared toward FL studio beginners. Beginners will also find helpful tips and tricks!
As a bonus, you will download a music project that is designed to help you quickly learn to create tracks. The class project involves remixing the original project files and posting them.
Students: 10,800+ | Rating: 83%
- Project Overview
- Before You Start
- Interface Overview
- Making Noises
- Final Thoughts
18. Beginners Guide to Piano Chords | Online Music Lessons
In this online music class, you will learn notes on the keyboard, and understand chords.
Also, play major, minor, sharp, 7th chords, and much more.
This course is a manageable condensed version complete with content and no filler, designed, so you get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Students: 11,300+ | Rating: 94%
- Anchoring Ourselves
- Using Our Anchor To Work Out Other Note Names
- What Is A Chord And How Do We Make One
- Picket Fences And Triangles
- Explain Table What’s To Come
- Minor Chords
- First Song To Play!
- Working Out The Names Of Black Notes
- Sharp And Flat Chords
- 7th Chords
- Minor 7th Chords
- Maj 7th Chords
- Table With 7ths
- Better Left Hand
- Arpeggio’ S
- Passing Notes
- Run Up And Down
- Augmented Chords Finished
- Diminished Chords
- Sus Chords And That Table All Filled In!
- Using Beats And Bars To Work Out When To Play Chords
- Putting It All Together
- Chord Inversions
- Johnny Cash’s Hurt
- Sam Smith’s Stay With Me
- Skinny Love Bon Iver/Birdy
19. Mixing At Home With Stock Plugins
In this online music class, you’ll learn how to create a professional-sounding mix using the stock plugins that are included.
You don’t need to upgrade! As a result of the strategic use of things like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, and distortion, tracks recorded in a home studio will be polished to commercial standards.
This course will teach how to use the master fader, how to use parallel compression in various ways to fatten up your mix, and how to enhance your mix with EQ.
If you are a bedroom musician or project studio musician with basic knowledge of your DAW but want to learn how to take your mixes to the next level, this class is ideal for you.
Students: 4,900+ | Rating: 99%
- Top-Down Mixing
- Mixing Drums
- Fattening Up The Bass
- The Rest Of The Band
- Mixing Vocals To Sit On Top
- Using Effects
- Quick Mastering
20. Music Composition with The Piano
Whether you’re a beginner or a pro at piano and music theory, you can unleash your composing & songwriting with tools that unlock the writing process.
By completing this course, you will be able to use extended music theory without reading a line of music composed in different genres such as film, classical, jazz, and mainstream, build exciting chord progressions, and develop your composing abilities.
Students: 3,300+ | Rating: 98%
- The Chromatic Scale
- Creating a Major Key
- Creating Chords Inside of a Key
- Naming Notes on the Piano
- Ambient Track Assignment
- Ambient Track Example
- Establishing ‘Gravity’ With Keys
- The Circle of Fifths Major Key Gravity
- Creating a Minor Scale and Key
- Circle of fifths Minor Key Gravity
- Learning all Keys
- Assignment Transposing Chords & Melodies
- Get Composing!
- Technique & Fluency at the Piano
- Hand positions & Fingerings
- Wandering Hands-Backing Tracks
- Modulation – New Centres of Gravity
- 3 Different Sections Example Track
- Introduction to Voicing
- Standard Accompaniment Patterns
- Musical Layers & Alignment
- Musical Alignment Example
- The Chord Progression Bible
- What Scales Go with What Chords?
- The Blues Scale
- Harmonic & Melodic Minor Scale
- The Scale Omnibus
- Paired Pentatonics
- Introduction to Chord Relationships
- Writing Themes
Online music classes offer an incredible opportunity to master music fundamentals and dive into advanced music theory.
Students, regardless of their skill levels, can enrich their music skills and explore the world of music. With a wide array of online music courses, you can learn music production, delve into audio engineering, and even learn to play guitar or piano.
These online courses, offer lessons from great teachers in the music industry, guiding you through chord progressions and the intricacies of software like FL Studio and Ableton Live.
Through music lessons with skilled instructors, aspiring musicians of all ages can develop their unique voices and style in music.
From classical to country music, students can explore different forms, increasing their creativity and understanding of the global music landscape.
Whether you’re looking to start your own music journey or enhance your existing skill sets, these online classes offer more than just the basics.
You will get the opportunity to learn about recording and audio processes, which are essential aspects of music production.
Such courses offer a fun, flexible, and interactive way to learn, with lessons often adaptable to suit students’ schedules week by week.
In the ever-evolving music industry, being a part of these online courses can be a game-changer. It’s a chance to work with experienced music teachers, build confidence in your own music, and even learn to play new instruments.
All that’s left to do is to get started today, enroll in a course, and embark on your unique musical journey!
We hope you find these online music classes helpful. Good luck on your journey of learning how to create music.