Here is a collection of the best Free Video Editing Software that you can use for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Best Free Video Editing Software
- OpenShot – Windows / Mac / Linux
- VideoPad Video Editing Software – Windows / Mac
- Lightworks – Windows / Mac / Linux
- Shotcut – Windows / Mac
- VSDC – Windows
- ApowerEdit – Windows / Mac
- iMovie – Mac
- DaVinci Resolve – Windows / Mac / Linux
- Filmora Video Editor – Windows / Mac
- Blender – Windows / Mac / Linux
- HitFilm Express – Windows / Mac
- Machete Video Editor Lite – Windows
- What’s your favorite free video editing software program?
OpenShot – Windows / Mac / Linux
OpenShot is a free open-source easy to use video editor, it is quick to learn, and surprisingly powerful video editor. Take a quick look at some of our most popular features and capabilities.
- Cross-Platform ( Linux, Mac, and Windows )
- Trim & Slice
- Animation & Keyframes
- Unlimited Tracks
- Video Effects
- Audio Waveforms
- Title Editor
- Slow Motion & Time Effects
- 70+ Languages
- Simple User Interface
VideoPad Video Editing Software – Windows / Mac
Easy-to-use, professional video and movie maker. Designed to be intuitive, VideoPad is a fully featured video editor for creating professional quality videos in minutes.
Get it Free. A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only.
- Supports Popular Video formats
- Wide Range of Visual Effects
- Audio Editing tools – Import and mix music like a pro.
- Video Optimization
- Upload or Export – Create a video for DVD, CD, YouTube, Mobile Phones.
Lightworks – Windows / Mac / Linux
Lightworks is another one of the best free video editing software. It’s available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. One of the more powerful video editors on the list. It’s packed with useful features.
The free version should be more than enough for most users. The pro version costs $25 a month.
- Simple & intuitive User Interface
- Easy timeline editing & trimming
- Access amazing royalty-free audio & video content
- Real-time ready to use audio & video FX
- Export video for YouTube and Vimeo.
- Wide file format support including variable frame rate media
Quick Start Guide
Shotcut – Windows / Mac
Shotcut is a free, open-source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats.
- Wide Format Support – Support for the latest audio and video formats.
- Device and Transport Options
- Sleek, Intuitive Interface
- Audio Features – Audio mixing across all tracks.
- Cross-Platform & Codec Independent
VSDC – Windows
The video editor is intended for editing video files and creating videos of any complexity involving various visual and audio effects. The program offers rich functionality and yet has a simple and intuitive interface, allowing you to create videos with a bare minimum of effort.
- Non-linear video editor
- Visual and audio effects
- Blending modes and Instagram-like filters
- Video stabilization tool
- Easy export to social networks
- 4K and HD export
- Support of popular formats
- YouTube uploader
ApowerEdit – Windows / Mac
ApowerEdit makes it a breeze to create your own professional videos or entertaining home movies of any complexity involving various visual and audio effects. Videos created with this tool can be used for teaching, presentation, sharing and just plain fun. It takes a pinch of fantasy to trim, cut, split, merge, rotate, mix video clips, apply stylish video effects, accelerate/slow down your video speed, and many more.
- Trim, cut, split, merge, rotate, mix video clips.
- Supports multiple image and video formats.
- Apply text and video effects.
- Edit audio.
iMovie – Mac
With iMovie for iOS and macOS, you can enjoy your videos like never before. It’s easy to browse your clips and create Hollywood-style trailers and stunning 4K-resolution movies. You can even start editing on an iPhone or iPad, then finish on your Mac.
- Studio-Quality Titles
- Extra-Special Effects
- High-Fidelity Filters
- Soundtracks, Simplified
DaVinci Resolve – Windows / Mac / Linux
Revolutionary tools for editing, color correction, audio post and now visual effects, all in a single application.
- Creative Editing
- Advanced Trimming
- Multicam Editing
- Speed Effects
- Transitions and Effects
- Powerful Organization Tools
Filmora Video Editor – Windows / Mac
Filmora is a simple video editor that empowers your stories. Download the latest version to transform precious moments into stunning videos.
- Free trial software with limitations.
- Import Multiple Videos
- Full 4k Support
- Custom Titles
- Filter & Overlays
Blender – Windows / Mac / Linux
The Video Editor allows you to perform basic actions like video cuts and splicing, as well as more complex tasks like video masking.
- Live preview, luma waveform, chroma vectorscope, and histogram displays
- Audio mixing, syncing, scrubbing and waveform visualization
- Up to 32 slots for adding video, images, audio, scenes, masks, and effects
- Speed control, adjustment layers, transitions, keyframes, filters, and more.
HitFilm Express – Windows / Mac
Video editing, VFX, and all the power you need to make something cool. Take your first step towards pro-filmmaking with our free starter software: HitFilm Express. Perfect for students, YouTubers, and beginner filmmakers.
- Professional-grade video editor
- Full 2D and 3D compositing
- 410+ effects and presets
- Free video tutorials and projects
- Unlimited tracks and transitions
- Windows & Mac compatibility
Machete Video Editor Lite – Windows
Machete Video Editor Lite is a free version of our video editor Machete. Similar to Machete, the Lite edition is designed for quick and simple “slicing” of your video files: you can delete unnecessary fragments (e.g. cut out commercials), copy, move, mix and save individual pieces. Also, you can use the software to remove audio tracks from video files.
I hope you enjoy these free video editing software programs. Please share this article and join our newsletter.