We act under the EU 2016/679 (General Data Protection Act) by the EU ( European Union ).
We DO NOT share or sell any of your personal information.
Table of Contents
- Who We Are
- What Data We Collect & Why We Collect It
- Who We Share Your Data With
- How Long We Retain Your Data
- What Rights You Have Over Your Data
- How We Protect Your Data
- Your Rights Under GDPR ( EU Visitors )
Who We Are
This website is run by Mark Valenzuela.
The purpose of this website is to help music makers create and promote music.
You can contact us if you have privacy concerns or questions.
What Data We Collect & Why We Collect It
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
An anonymized string created from your email address (also called a hash) may be provided to the Gravatar service to see if you are using it.
After approval of your comment, your profile picture may be visible to the public in the context of your comment.
We use Wufoo for our contact forms. When you send a message your name, email, subject, URL, IP address, and submission date and time are stored at Wufoo.com.
This information is deleted every 6 months. This information is only used to answer emails.
Email Support ( Help Scout )
When you submit a message through the Wufoo contact form it is automatically forwarded to Help Scout. Help Scout is how we manage website visitor emails.
Your messages, name, email address, URL, and sent time and dates are stored with Help Scout indefinitely to keep records of previous conversations to help provide better help in the future.
Email Support Inbox
When you submit a message through the Wufoo contact form it is automatically forwarded to our customer support email box on Dreamhost, which is then forwarded to Help Scout. This inbox is erased every 6 months.
Cookies are text files that are stored in a computer system via an Internet browser.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to save your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
Account Login Cookies
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
The cookies mentioned below are added by 3rd party analytic services and email support tools.
Used by Clicky Analytics for analytics tracking.
- _eventqueue – Expires after 9 hours.
- _first_pageview – Expires after 9 hours.
- _jsuid – Expires after 20 years.
- heatmaps_g2g_ – Expires after 9 hours.
- clicky_olark – Expires after 9 hours.
Used by Google Analytics for analytics tracking.
- _ga – Expires after 2 years.
- _gat – Expires after 9 hours.
- _gid – Expires after 24 hours.
Used by WordPress for comments.
- comment_author – Expires after 1 year.
- comment_author_email – Expires after 1 year.
- comment_author_url_ – Expires after 1 year.
Used by Mailmunch for the pop-up email capture form.
- mailmunch_second_pageview – Expires after 1 year.
- mailmunch_shown_ – Expires after 2 weeks.
Used by WordPress Adblock for the ad block notification.
- simple_adblock_notice – Expires after 24 hours.
Clicky logs your IP Address, hostname, and the pages you visit on our website.
Google Analytics logs your IP Address, hostname, and the pages you visit on our website.
WordFence logs visitors location, IP addresses, visit date and time, hostname, and page visited. This plugin is only used for security protection and improving the website.
We do nothing with this data besides resolve server loading issues.
We use WP-Polls to run polls. This plugin stores your IP Address, hostname, and voting date.
We use the WordPress plugin Pretty links to shorten website URLs. This plugins stores IP Address, date, time, URI, Referrer, and link.
Simple Adblock Notice
We use the Simple Adblock Notice for ad block notifications. This plugin sets a cookie when you close the pop up to not appear again.
We collect your name and email address when you sign up for our email list. Emails are usually sent out twice a week for new sign ups.
We send emails with helpful articles, free downloads, and promotional content.
You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link that appears in every email we send, or you can send us a message.
We track email analytics in our email program like email opens, link clicks, open date/time, country, sign up location, and IP address.
We do not share email addresses with any individuals or businesses.
Embedded Content From Other Websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. YouTube, Facebook feed, Twitter feed, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We use the affiliate programs mentioned below. Each one of the programs may set a cookie in your browser when a link from our website is clicked to track that you came from our website. Below you can read the different privacy policies.
Who We Share Your Data With
We do NOT share data with anyone besides the tools we use.
All the data gathered is used by us to improve the website traffic, content, user experience.
How Long We Retain Your Data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. You can contact us to remove a comment.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What Rights You Have Over Your Data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Contact us if you want us to:
- Delete your comment.
- Delete a message you sent us.
- Unsubscribe to our email list.
- Or have questions.
If you would like to contact us about your data, use our contact form to send us a message.
How We Protect Your Data
This website is SSL certified and we use security plugins to keep this secure.
What Data Breach Procedures We Have in Place
If our website is breached, we will contact users in 72 hours.
Please note: No important personal data is stored on this website besides comments.
Your Rights Under GDPR ( EU Visitors )
If you live in the EU you have additional rights to your data.
Users may exercise certain rights regarding their data processed by the owner.
Users entitled to broader protection standards may exercise any of the rights described below. In all other cases, users may inquire with the owner to find out which rights apply to them.
In particular, users have the right to do the following:
- Withdraw their consent at any time. Users have the right to withdraw consent where they have previously given their consent to the processing of their personal data.
- Object to processing of their data. Users have the right to object to the processing of their data if the processing is carried out on a legal basis other than consent. Further details are provided in the dedicated section below.
- Access their data. Users have the right to learn if data is being processed by the owner, obtain disclosure regarding certain aspects of the processing and obtain a copy of the data undergoing processing.
- Verify and seek rectification. Users have the right to verify the accuracy of their data and ask for it to be updated or corrected.
- Restrict the processing of their data. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of their data. In this case, the owner will not process their data for any purpose other than storing it.
- Have their personal data deleted or otherwise removed. Users have the right, under certain circumstances, to obtain the erasure of their data from the owner.
- Receive their data and have it transferred to another controller. Users have the right to receive their data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and, if technically feasible, to have it transmitted to another controller without any hindrance. This provision is applicable provided that the data is processed by automated means and that the processing is based on the user’s consent, on a contract which the User is part of or on pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Lodge a complaint. Users have the right to bring a claim before their competent data protection authority.
Details About the Right to Object to Processing:
Where personal data is processed for a public interest, in the exercise of an official authority vested in the owner or for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the owner, users may object to such processing by providing a ground related to their particular situation to justify the objection.
Users must know that, however, should their personal data be processed for direct marketing purposes, they can object to that processing at any time without providing any justification. To learn, whether the owner is processing personal data for direct marketing purposes, users may refer to the relevant sections of this document.
How to Exercise These Rights:
Any requests to exercise User rights can be directed to the owner through the contact details provided in this document. These requests can be exercised free of charge and will be addressed by the owner as early as possible and always within one month.
Applicability of Broader Protection Standards:
While most provisions of this document concern all users, some provisions expressly only apply if the processing of personal data is subject to broader protection standards.
Such broader protection standards apply when the processing:
- is performed by an owner based within the EU;
- concerns the personal data of users who are in the EU and is related to the offering of paid or unpaid goods or services, to such Users;
- concerns the personal data of users who are in the EU and allows the owner to monitor such users’ behavior taking place in the EU.
Updated – May 2018