If you have a music website to sell beats or promote your music, search engine optimization is a must. If you are new to SEO, here is a great inforaphic of search engine optimization basics for music websites. If you are a Music Maker website theme user, pay attention to these tips to help improve your search engine rankings.
Helpful Search Engine Optimization for Music Websites
What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural” or un-paid (“organic”) search results.
How do search engines work?
Search engine robots…
- Crawl the web
- Index website pages
- Rank indexed pages
- Return relevant results to users
S.T.A.C Your Site
Sitemap – Help search engines find all the pages on your site.
- Create XML and HTML versions
- Use third party tools
- Upload to Webmaster Tools – Google Webmaster Tools http://www.google.com/webmasters/
Canonical Pages – A single URL for your main page.
- Avoid multiple URLs
- Use 301 redirects for alternative versions
Descriptions – Make your URLs search engine friendly.
- Use dashes ( – ), not underscores ( _ ) to separate content
- Use real words that any human can read.
- Platforms like Drupal and WordPress create descriptive URLs for pages / post automatically.
Tags – Match your tags to keyword search terms.
- Keywords is not in reference to the meta keywords.
- Most search engines don’t recognize the meta keywords HTML tag.
- Use the meta descriptions tags, in addition to making sure your page content utilizes relevant keywords.
- Additional tags to note for SEO: Robots, alt tag, title tag, body header tag.
Keyword Searches – Ensure site content matches keyword search terms through use of keyword tools.
- Proximity of terms is important, so keep your keywords adjacent.
Adele example using Google’s keyword tool:
- lyrics adele = 1.5M searches
- download adele = 823K searches
- adele mp3 = 550k searches
Direct users away from torrent sites. Use “torrent” as a keyword. i.e., “Legit album not available through torrent sites. Please support the artist!”
Reputation – How many popular and relevant sites link to your page?
- Link to the stores and apps that sell your music.
- Leverage social media for creating back links to increase search engine visibility.
- Write guest posts on reputable sites to generate positive back links.
Links – Consider keyword utilization when building links.
- For URL shorteners (e.g. Bit.ly ) make sure 301 redirect is utilized.
- Build back links ( off page ) or outsource to a reputable provider.
High ROI Content on Top Pages – Websites are organized in the hierarchy. Place the most relevant content in the highest teir to capture search traffic, such as:
- Showcase content
- Digital store or link to buy your recent album, song or merch
- Tour dates
Unique & Authentic
- Avoid copying content from other websites. Unique / rich content = increased rank / credibility.
- Use language familiar with your target audience.
- Keywords should reflect common language and phrasing.